Monday, December 1, 2008

This is a hard earned buck and one I'm proud of. I shot this buck on 11-15-08, the rifle opener in Nebraska, at 4:30PM. The day was filled with many sightings of young bucks in bow range and a few does. I called, rattled and grunted in two bucks this day- this deer being the last of the two.

Here is the story.

My Friend David and I had just finished up a lunch and a few deer drives- no sightings. We wondered where all the deer were. The rut has been on in this area for 2 weeks now, so we figured the bigger bucks were already locked down in thickets with does. This is probably true based upon the young buck sign I had seen that morning. The 1 1/2 year olds were walking aimlessly through the woods love sick and coming to any calls this poor old hunter could make.

After taking extra precautions getting to my stand to not scare any deer I would be hunting, I strategically put out scent wicks so the wind would cross the deer's path before the deer got to mine. No sooner had I been in the stand I heard in the distance a horn honking. This honking went on and on…………beep, beep, beep, b-b-beep, beeeeeeeeep- you get the idea. I looked over my shoulder to see a farmer riding through his CRP field at 15 mph honking his horn in the most annoying way. If you've seen "Dumb and Dumber", it was more annoying than that! My first thought was, David is injured and needs help. I entertained the idea of getting down and chasing down the truck to find out what the matter was, but realized the truck was headed my way. After hearing a few cattle calls, that took me back to my youth when my neighbor would call his cattle to feed, and putting the honks of the truck together, I realized David wasn't injured---It's a Nebraska Deer Drive! I had to just laugh at the situation. I mean it has been a long hard season, my boy has me stressed out about getting him a deer to the point he is making excuses for me and recently said "Dad, you don't have to kill a deer………..you can kill an elk."- Like that is taking any pressure off! I laughed at the situation, after all, I had taken such meticulous steps to wash my carbon scent free clothes, spray down my boots with scent away spray, approach the stand from a round -a-bout way not to spook any deer and strategically hang my scent wicks- only to find the farmer driving through the bedroom of the deer and his buddy walking through their living room cow calling. I had to laugh from crying.

Of course no deer rose to the occasion and after the farmer drove up to me and yelled "Can ya hear me?" did he then mosey on along. An hour later, the deer had settled down and the hunt was back on.

After seeing a deer in the distance, I rattled and brought a small broken 7 point to within bow range. That was exciting! Boy was he fired up. He reminded me of the scene at school when a fight breaks out and people start yelling and running to the commotion. I passed, although thinking "this would get the monkey off my back." Thirty minutes later, I caught a quick glimpse of a monster rack and big deer 75 yards away slipping through some cedars. I grunted and he stopped. I could only see his flanks and rear end. The "Kiss of death" (my 30-06) laid on his hips, "Should I shoot and break him down? I know this is the deer I came here for. Do I put the cross hairs just inside the cedar he's touching and squeeze the trigger for a lung shot? " All these thoughts were shattered when he took that last step which put him fully behind the cedar and out of my life forever. All this happened in a matter of 7 seconds. I began grunting louder and calling with a doe estrous call in hopes of bringing him back for a quick look. Nothing. After a few minutes I rattled lightly………..then aggressively out of desperation. This was a big buck. All of a sudden I looked to my left and I saw a wide racked, what looks like 8 point. He was coming straight in quickly and began making a scrape just 50 yards away and rubbing his antlers in a cedar tree. Through the scope I counted, "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 point. Good enough for me and my boy will be proud." BANG. The deer falls right in his scrape and begins rolling and kicking towards me. He tries to get up and the finishing shot is administered.

I have a lot of respect for these animals and am sure thankful for the hunt and freedom I have.

This is a beautiful cape and large bodied deer. I caped him out and am putting it on another set of antlers I have. I'm sure pleased with him and Carter is ecstatic.

Thanks to my wife and her support. Love you Hannah.



















No comments: